Duties and Qualifications
The Special Events Volunteers will assist with events such as family days, festivals, public programs, community-based events, and Hispanic Heritage Month activities. To learn more information about the exhibitions, educational programming, and digital initiatives, please see the Molina Family Latino Gallery page.
The Special Events Volunteers must commit to at least two events per quarter. In addition, volunteers in the program receive an orientation and training, access to the volunteer newsletter, Smithsonian volunteer benefits, and access to special enrichment opportunities.
Assist staff during event logistics that include:
- Managing informational booths
- Checking in visitors
- Facilitating hands-on activities
- Event set up and break-down
- Accompanying special guests
- Surveying attendees
- Assisting as a crowd counter
- Assisting staff where needed
- Office support
Desired Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work in teams and provide excellent customer service.
- Previous experience working with intergenerational families is recommended but not required.
- Ability to interact with visitors of different age groups, backgrounds, and learning styles.
- Ability to handle difficult or unexpected situations.
- Fluency in Spanish is recommended but not required.
- Must be able to pass a federal background check.
- Volunteers must be 18 years of age or older.
- Basic computer skills and access to a device with an Internet connection to participate in virtual trainings and enrichment opportunities.
Applicant must commit to a minimum of one year.
Special Events Volunteers must commit to completing an online orientation and attend in-person training that will cover event logistics and introduction to the Molina Family Latino Gallery. In addition, volunteers will be trained in other areas like implicit bias, by-standard intervention, de-escalation procedures, customer service, and accessibility.
How do I apply?
The application deadline is Friday, February 18, 2022. Interested candidates must create an account and apply through the Smithsonian volunteer management system. Click here to create an account and complete the entire application.
COVID-19 Safety Protocols
Volunteers are required to follow health and safety measures established by the Smithsonian Institution and the National Museum of American History. This includes:
- The Smithsonian requires all affiliated staff (volunteers) to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
- Mandatory face coverings inside the museum.
- Health screening for volunteers
- COVID-19 Safety Awareness Training
- COVID-19 Customer Service Training
*These protocols are subject to change.
For questions, please contact Natalia M. Febo, Volunteer Coordinator, at SLCvolunteer@si.edu.
This volunteer opportunity is through the National Museum of the American Latino.